Pinterest

Monday, May 3, 2010

A Rosary made out of Legos?

I was searching for something to make for my godson's 1st Holy Communion. He's been crazy about Lego's for quite some time but I had a feeling he's kind of growing out of the Lego stage. I decided to search the net and see what other creative people had done w/Legos. I found some great Lego bracelets and very cool cufflinks but I was smitten with this fabulous Rosary made out of Legos. I really liked the concept of snapping the Legos together to help keep track of where you are when praying the Rosary. I also like the fact that Legos are appealing to younger kids and if that encourages them to pray the Rosary, I'm all for it! Since there was no time to purchase one of these beauties, I had to make one myself. Luckily, my teenage son still has 2 huge tubs filled to the brim with Legos. I made mine slightly different based on the Legos I found and I used only one Lego to separate the Mysteries as I thought this would be more in keeping with traditional Catholic Rosaries. Here's my take on the Lego Rosary.


To keep the cross pieces together I used Gorilla Glue.


I also used 1mm imitation leather cording to string the Rosary together.
Since the Legos I chose to use were the round ones, there was no need for lots of drilling. I only had to drill holes in 2 Legos. I drilled the "4-pegged" grey Lego and the 1-pegged Lego which was the top of the cross.


The very best part was my godson's comment when he saw the Lego Rosary... "Wow! That's the coolest Rosary EVER!!" I think it was a hit! If you're in need of a Rosary, I do suggest getting one from Memento Moose. They are great!.

 Credo,
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for your interest in my shop MementoMoose. I started making these rosaries for my sons, (soon to be 4), and posted them on a whim. I have been amazed an blessed by the interest that people have had in them and praise God for every one sold.

    Just to clarify why the Rosaries may appear to have "extra" beads. Rosaries usually have a space between the last bead of the decade and the pater bead. Since the Legos slid freely along the string, I found that adding a "spacer Lego" in lieu of a gap worked well to provide visual as well as tactile differentiation between the decade and pater beads.

    I am overjoyed that God has allowed me to provide these Rosaries and to nurture devotion to our Blessed Mother.

    Thank you and God bless,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    Thanks for posting a comment. I wish you much success and I hope my blog directs others to your shop.

    Credo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete