Pinterest

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lorelei Apron and Simplicity 2492

Although I've made many aprons, I still having fun making aprons for friends and family. I think the book A Is for Aprons is great apron eye candy. I just wish the directions were better. A few weeks ago the Simplicity patterns were $1.99 at Joann's. As I was going through the pattern book, I found Simplicity 2492 which is a slight modification of the Lorelei apron from A Is for Aprons.
PLUS, the Simplicity pattern comes in adult and children's sizes. The book only has one size. Since the Lorelei was one of my favorites that I made as a Christmas gift, I wanted to make a matching set for me and lil' AC. I didn't mind spending $1.99 for the pattern and I hoped the Simplicity directions would fill in the gaps the book had. I'm looking for the right fabric to make those matching aprons. Even though I don't have the right fabric, that pattern was calling me! Turns out that my mom is the only one I hadn't made an apron for. (And she had actually asked for one for Christmas! I know. I know! Bad daughter!!) For mother's day, I decided to make her the Lorelei/Simplicity 2492. I used the pattern pieces from the book but used the Simplicity instructions. I took me about 2.5 hours to make the apron and I did not rip out one seam! The Simplicity instructions helped tremedously. Here's my mom's Mother's Day Apron.


The book instructions for adding the rick rack and bias tape where not clear to me. The Simplicity instructions were very straight forward to me. This is the portion I'm talking about

The neck area of the aprons are different from the book and the Simplicity pattern. I like the non-tie neck in the book.  Here's a close up of the back of the Simplicity pattern. You can see the pattern details a little better.

The Simplicity pattern also give you patterns for pot holders, sachet and some felt food (cookies).

Credo,
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Your apron is really cute! I am actually making this same apron right now and I'm having a lot of trouble with the neck line, too. I have the A for Apron book. I had to rip out the seams. Would you mind explaining to me how you did the rick rack and bias tape and in what order. I'm up to pinning the neck strap to the top front with wrong sides together. Thanks so much. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele,
    Using a 1/4" seam allowance, I first basted the neck strap and front (with wrong sides together). I then took the bias tape and encased that basted seam (like an upside down "U"). I stitched down the bias tape edge that is closes to the hem keeping the neck strap and front wrong sides together. I then flipped up the neck strap, as if I was going to put it on, and ironed the bias tape to the neck front. I then took the rick rack and aligned it behind the ironed bias tape. I pinned it in place and then stitched along the top part of the bias tape which catches the rick rack and the neck strap.

    I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I will try to post some pictures.

    Thanks for your question!

    Credo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Lisa! The apron came out adorable. I made it for my mom. I will be watching your cute blog. :)

    ReplyDelete