Pinterest

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Drawstring Backpack

I really liked these functional but fun backpacks created by Ana over at Noodlehead. I love the zippered compartment in the front, the simplitcity of a drawstring bag and that she used an old pair of cargo pants to put it together! Love the recycle part. I wanted to make one of Ana's bags for an older boy. So, I choose not to use any kiddish fabric on the front. In fact, I couldn't decide what to use in the front. In the end, I just stuck w/the denim I purchased on clearance for $2 a yard and some football fabric for the linning (also on clearance for $2 a yard). I also made the bag slightly bigger, 15" wide by 18" tall (instead of 13"x16"). I also used bigger cording for the drawstring. I picked up 9/32" cable cording by the yard for $0.99/yard. I purchased 3 yards, as Ana suggested. Since my cording was bigger, I had to make my hole for the cording bigger and my casing a lot wider for the wide cording to run through it. I ended up having a casing that was probably an 1.25" wide. The larger casing made threading the cording much easier. Ana also suggests an 8" zipper but all I had was a 7" zipper and that worked just fine. Ana's tutorial was easy to follow and I hope you give it a try. Here's my bag.


When the bag was finished, I didn't like the lose ends of the cording. I thought they looked messy. To addres this, I cut a 2x4" piece of denim and made tabs for the end of the cording to encase those lose ends.

I was much happier with the encased cording ends. Looked better, to me.



Credo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment