Pinterest

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tulle Hair Band

To go along with the Simple Sash Sundress, lil' AC needed something for her hair. Originally, I thought I would make the hair band out of the yellow cotton dress fabric but I thought the outfit needed more white to make the rest of it stand out more. I had some plain white cotton but it just seemed like too much white and that's when tulle came to mind. I had measured where the headband would go on my daughter's head. Then subtracted 4". I used the 6" wide tulle that comes on a spool. Love that stuff. I use it as ribbon when wrapping gifts or to decorate a plain basket. I think tulle on a spool is a staple for all crafters. So, I cut the 6" wide tulle the length of her head minus 4". I then cut a piece of 3/8" black elastic 5" long. I chose black elastic because lil' AC has dark brown hair and it blends well. I then scrunched up one tulle end and placed it over the elastic. The tulle covered approximately 1" of elastic. I then stitched the tulle to the elastic about an 1/2 from the edge of the elastic. I did this to the other side and then trimmed both ends of the hair band close to the stitch line. I took a piece of white ribbon and then wrapped it around the tulle/elastic seam stitching. I wrapped about 2" worth of white satin ribbon and then tacked it in place, by hand. It looked like this...

To add a fabric flower, I cut a circle out of the yellow cotton dress fabric. I then cut 2 pieces of white tulle slightly smaller. The tulle circles were approximately the same size, about 2.5" in diameter. To make the ends curl, I burnt the ends with a lighter like this.
I burnt the inner petal more than the outter to make it smaller. I then layered the circles. The cotton was at the bottom followed by the tulle from largest to smallest. I then pinched the center with my fingers until I was happy with the way it looked and then used thread and needle to keep it's shape. I then added the extra button I made for the dress to the center. I just attached it with needle and thread.

Here's the finished product...




Credo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment