Pinterest

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Simple Sash Sundress

A couple of weeks ago I made lil AC a dress from Kari Mecca's Sewing With Whimsy.

The dress I chose was the Simple Sash Dress. This is the 1st dress pattern that I used from her book. I found the instructions to be well written and easy to follow. The only problem I had was putting in the bias bound placket. However, since this was my 1st time doing one, I think it turned out okay. The instructions for French seams were very clear and this was also the 1st time I did an entire dress with French seams. I think it makes a world of difference and I really like how clean (lack of stray threads) the inside looks.

Here's how lil AC's dress turned out...


The front
Close up of the trim on the bodice and hemline:


The back of the dress:

Close up of the back and buttons

I was pleased with the way the trim lined up on the back. I started to look for vintage type buttons but I couldn't find anything I was really happy with. So, I just decided to purchase on of those button cover kits. I used the yellow cotton fabric and to separate the flowers from the trim, I just cut the thread between the 2 flowers. Using my sewing machine, I stitched the flowers onto the yellow cotton fabric and then followed the instructions for creating a button. It suggests that light or thin fabric can be doubled. I tried that but the fabric was really too thick to snap in that button cover.  Here's a close up of one of the extra buttons I made and ended up using it in a hair band for lil' AC.

It was a good little sewing project and I'm glad I got the book!





Credo,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. You did a very nice job on this! I have 3 daughters enjoy making pretty dresses for them! Please become my fan if you want to! Thanks, Angela at Oregonpatchworks

    ReplyDelete