Pinterest

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring outfit - McCall's 5568

It's been way too long since my last post. I do apologize for that. Good news is that even though I have not been keeping my blog up to date, I have been sewing quite a bit. I'll be posting some of the projects I have completed.

Although it's been raining quite a bit lately, I've got SPRING fever. I've been sewing up breezy outfits for lil' AC. I've had McCall's 5568 for quite some time.

 I wanted to use up more of that $2 seersucker fabric I picked up at JoAnn's. I've written a complete pattern review here too. I selected view B and H. However, I wanted to make view H, pants and not capris. Lil' AC is thin but a bit tall. I added 4" to the capri pants to make them full length. In retrospect, I probably should of gone with adding 5" to create a more substantial hem. However, it will work as is. The instructions for the capris were ok. I would of put the waistband together a little differently but I like to follow the directions the 1st time around. When I make the capris again, I will improvise on the waistband. In general, the instructions and pattern pieces for the capris were ok. I added the band w/rickrack towards the bottom of the pants to match the top.

 The top, on the other hand, was  a different story. I have never seen such a convoluted way to attach a collar before. If you follow the directions exactly, it will come out but you have to be very precise with your seam allowance. I'm never one to suggest using your own method to complete a pattern for the very 1st time. I really believe you need to follow the instructions the 1st time around. When you make the garment for the 2nd time, that's when I think you should use whatever method works best for you. HOWEVER, in this situation... if you have ever put together a collar like this one, use your method and do not follow the instructions. Trust me on this one! I also added some purple rickrack to the pockets and all the way around the collar.


I hope you find this pattern review helpful.

Credo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment