Pinterest

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mr. Potato Head

I loved Mr. Potato Head when I was a kid. When I saw this post, I knew I my 2 yr. old had to have one! I ended up making a few of these for Christmas gifts. This is the 1st one I made, the prototype. I worked on the eyes (because the 1st set came out a little too goofy looking), ladies hat (because my daughter kept calling it a boat as she held it upside down), and mustache a bit more for the other potato heads. The prototype I made out of all felt but all the other potato bodies I made out of fleece (body parts were still out of felt).  Since I put the scratchy velcro on the body parts, this allows my 2 yr old to put the body parts ANYWHERE on the potato body because the scratchy part will stick to the felt body. Since she's only 2, I thought this would give her more enjoyment putting the body parts anywhere and she's not restricted to just attaching it to the velcro sections. The downside is that the felt is getting pretty beat up with pulls and snags. I had a feeling this might happen and that's why I made all the rest of the potato bodies out of fleece. I could of put the scratchy part of the velcro on the potato body but I had visions of my 2yr old trying to tuck Mr. Potato under her arm and getting scratched by the velcro. 

Mrs. Potato Head, the prototype...



 Placement of the soft side of the velcro (the front of the potato head)..





 Mr. Potato Head

The body parts:





As suggested, I did make the back pocket with a pleat to hold the body parts easily. If you decide to switch over to fleece for the body, I cut my pocket flap a little shorter because the fleece gives a lot more than the felt. For the prototype, I added about 4 extra inches to make my pleats for the pocket. My felt pocket flap was 3" tall and 5.25" wide and my fleece pocket flaps were only 2.5" tall.

And this is the way my daughter likes to see her Potato Head!


Here's a variation on Ashley's Potato Head by Jessica at Running With Scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment